Bursitis is the swelling of bursae. These are fluid-filled sacs that help your muscles, ligaments, and tendons to glide gently over bone. When bursae are inflamed, the area surrounding them becomes very painful and tender. Bursitis does not affect the hip alone, it also occurs in the knee, elbow joints, and shoulder. Below, you will find some of the most effective hip bursitis exercises that will improve your movements and relieve hip pain.
With a strong muscular base around your hips, you can perform movements without causing trauma on your joints. The key to alleviating hip pain is building muscles to support your hips.
One of the most recommended hip bursitis exercises is stretching. Stretching of the hip muscles that lie on the upper side of the bursae can offer some relief from hip pain.
- Kneel on the affected leg and hold on to your waist to maintain balance.
- Move your pelvis slightly forward to tighten the muscles in your buttocks.
- Lean away from the section of your hip that is painful. For example, lean towards the left if you are kneeling on the right knee. This exercise will stretch the upper part of your hip bone then down to the side of your leg and finally the knee.
- Hold this position for about 30 seconds and repeat it twice.
2: Lying Leg Circles
Lying leg circles are hip bursitis exercises aimed at improving strength, motion, and flexibility in the small muscles that facilitate leg and hip rotation.
- Lie flat on your back and extend your legs.
- Raise your left leg about 3 inches high.
- Make small circles while keeping your leg straight.
- Switch to the right leg and repeat these movements.
- Perform 3 repetitions with 5 rotations on each leg.
3: Strengthen Your Inner Thighs
Your inner thighs offer support to your hips. It is, therefore, important to exercise this muscle group.
- Lie flat on your back.
- Put a ball between your legs.
- Raise your legs and squeeze the ball between them.
- Repeat the exercise three times with 10 repetitions per set.
4: Lying Lateral Leg Raises
Lying lateral leg raises are hip bursitis exercises for developing and strengthening the iliotibial band, a tissue that spans the exterior part of the upper leg. The iliotibial band facilitates side to side leg motion. Lying lateral leg raises affect the hamstrings, quadriceps, and other important muscles of your leg.
- Lie on your left side and extend out your left arm to achieve balance.
- Lift your right leg in as far as you can.
- Gradually lower your right leg so it is line with your left leg.
- Perform 15 repetitions of up and down movements.
- Lie on your right side and repeat the same exercise.
- Repeat the exercise 4 times with 15 repetitions per set.
5: Hip Bridges
Hip bridges are another form of hip bursitis exercises that focus on strengthening the quadriceps, glutes, hip flexors, and hamstrings. These muscles are crucial for supporting your hip joints.
- Lie flat on your back and bend your legs.
- Slowly raise your hips until they are in line with your knees and shoulders.
- You will feel the effect of this motion in your hamstrings and glutes.
- Slowly lower your hips down.
- Repeat the exercise 5 times with 20 repetitions per set.
6: Clam Shell
The clamshell is a type of hip bursitis exercise that impacts your hip muscles.
- Lie on one side with your affected hip on top of the other hip. Your head should be propped on a pillow.
- Elevate your top knee while keeping your feet together. Do not allow your hips to roll back.
- This position should open your legs like a clamshell.
- Maintain this position for 6 seconds.
- Slowly lower your knee and after resting repeat this exercise 8-12 times.
Planking is one of the common forms of hip bursitis exercises for stretching and strengthening your core.
- Get to the floor on all fours: hands and knees and a straight back.
- Raise one of your legs from the floor and behind you keeping the knee bent slightly and your back straight.
- Hold this position for 6 seconds and then gradually return to your starting position.
- To improve on the effect of the exercises, raise one leg and the opposite arm and hold this position for 6 seconds.
- Gradually return to the starting position.
8: Strengthening Your Hip Muscles
Hip bursitis exercises for strengthening the outer hip muscles are effective in relieving hip pain. The aim of these exercises is to move your leg away from your body. A good example of this type of exercise is the one that is performed with a resistance band.
- Tie a band to a fixed point and then round your foot.
- Stand straight and move your leg in the opposite direction of the band and back.
- Repeat the exercise 3 times with 8 to 15 repetitions per set.
9: Hip Rotator Exercises
Hip rotator exercises focus on relieving pain around the hip and knees and improving core strength.
- Sit on a roller with knees bent and feet on the ground.
- Lean back slightly and put one hand on the floor and the other on the thigh.
- Place the ankle of one leg on the thigh of your other leg.
- With your supporting foot and hand, move the foam roller back and forth for 60 seconds.
Equipment to Help With Hip Bursitis
- Foam Rollers For Muscles - LuxFit High Density Foam Roller is great for Physical Therapy, before or after Exercise,...
- Foam Exercise Roller Helps Prevent Muscle Injury - Perfect for positioning, balance, postural and muscle re-education,...
- Extra Firm Gym Foam Roller - Molded polypropylene foam technology has a 2 lbs. per cubic foot density, Smooth surface,...
- High end exercise bands. Our 12″ by 2″ heavy duty resistance loop bands are made of 100% natural latex - free of TPE...
- Great with any workout. This resistance band set can be integrated seamlessly with every popular workout program...
- Multiple uses. These resistance bands are often used for sports and fitness, physical therapists love these physical...
Putting It All Together
Are you suffering from hip pain or trauma around your hip joints? Hips can become dysfunctional for a number of reasons from performing intense exercises to performing movements that hurt the hip mechanism. Inflammation is the body’s natural way of minimizing friction around your hip joints.
Strengthening and stretching your hip joints and muscles can help you counteract the wear and tear of hip joints. Engaging in the hip bursitis exercises listed above can help you improve hip muscle and flexibility, and relieve the pain associated with bursitis. Apart from adopting a strength training schedule, do not forget to rest as it helps rejuvenate, repair, and rebuild worn out tissues.