Carbon monoxide gas is colorless and odorless. Poisoning from this gas may be experienced from an incomplete combustion of fuels such as gasoline or kerosene.
A patient may present with vague symptoms such as headache, nausea or vomiting. Their skin color may be cherry red. Or patients may present in a coma.
The test for its poisoning is called carboxyhemoglobin level.
Careful- The oxygen level on a pulse oximeter monitor may look normal. Also, carbon monoxide levels do not correlate with its toxicity.
Treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning is oxygen. If available, hyperbaric oxygen therapy may be used.